Best Folding Hunting Knife of 2018: Complete Reviews With Comparison
Most hunters prefer to choose a fixed blade hunting knife when they are traveling outdoors, however, you may run into a situation where a smaller and portable folding knife may come in handy.
If you’re trying to cut down on the weight and size of the items you carry while camping and hunting, a folding hunting knife may be the perfect choice for you.
Folding hunting knives are not only lightweight but also are much easier to access and carry when you’re on the go. They function almost just as well as fixed blades, however, they are not as durable.
If you're in the market for the best folding hunting knife on today's market, we'll gladly help assist you, so keep reading.
- 1 Top 5 Best Folding Hunting Knives Comparison Chart
- 2 Best Folding Hunting Knives Reviews
- 2.1 1. Buck Knives 110
- 2.2 2. Gerber Freeman
- 2.3 3. Elk Ridge Bone Gentleman
- 2.4 4. Grand Way FB 0924 A
- 2.5 5. Firebird Knife F720
- 3 FINAL VERDICT
Top 5 Best Folding Hunting Knives Comparison Chart
Best Folding Hunting Knives Reviews
1. Buck Knives 110
The Buck Knives 110 folding knife is a reasonably priced and aesthetically pleasing knife, created by the Buck Knives company. This company has been manufacturing buck knives since the beginning of the 1900’s and has continued to do so for the last century.
Their company has grown from handcrafting knives one by one, to now manufacturing knives on a very large scale. They did not want to forget the grace and beauty that handcrafted knives had, so they’ve worked to incorporate their blades to be both useful and stylish.
If you’re looking for a good looking folding knife to take on trips, this will be the perfect pick for you. It’s perfect for piercing, slicing, and other tasks.
The Buck Knives 110 has an overall length of around 4.8 inches, a blade length of 3.75 inches, and weighs 8 ounces. The blade is crafted from 420HC stainless steel and ends with a clip blade point.
The materials ensure that the knife is corrosion resistant and will be durable even after multiple uses. It also has an easy to open nail notch located on the blade, this is a unique feature that you won’t find on many other knives. This feature locks the blade open to ensure that you have reliable strength when in use and also keeps you safe when you close it.
The handle is crafted from walnut and brass bolsters and give the perfect combination of both durability and beauty. Included with the Buck Knife 110 is a high quality protective leather sheath which also includes a snap fastener.
This allows you to easily integrate the knife into your belt loop for easy access on the go. If you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase, the Buck Knives company provides all of its customers with a lifetime warranty.
- RAZOR SHARP CLIP POINT BLADE- 3-3/4" 420HC Stainless Steel Clip Blade has excellent strength , edge retention and is corrosion resistant. The Clip blade has a very sharp controllable point, and is good for detail work, piercing and slicing
- STRENGTH AND SAFETY - Easy to open with a nail notch on the blade. The lock back mechanism locks the blade open for reliable strength and safety while you work. Closed Length 4-7/8" Weight 7.2 oz.
- AN AMERICAN ICON - Crelicam Ebony Handle and Brass Bolsters provide a perfect combination of beauty and balance.
- CONVENIENT CARRY- Includes a Genuine High Quality Protective Leather Sheath with Snap Fastener. The integrated belt loop allows for safe and secure carry on your belt for easy access. The 110 is perfect as a hunting companion or for general outdoor use
- MADE IN THE USA - FOREVER WARRANTY - Since 1902 Buck Knives has offered a lifetime warranty on our knives because we believe in the integrity of our products. This knife is proudly made in the USA.
What's to like about the Buck Knives 110
- Razor sharp
- Style icon
- Convenient and easy access
- Lifetime warranty
What's not to like about the Buck Knives 110
- Needs sharpening
2. Gerber Freeman
This knife is a moderately priced folding knife manufactured by Gerber. The Gerber company was founded in 1939 in the United States and has since then worked on providing their customers with top-notch quality folding knives full of innovation.
Since then they have expanded their company to not only provide knives but other gear for the outdoors as well. If you’re in the market for a lightweight folding knife perfect for hunting and camping, then this may be the knife for you.
The Gerber Freeman knife has a larger overall blade length of 8.1 inches, a blade length of 3.6 inches and weighs 6.6 ounces. The blade is a fine edge drop point and crafted to be extra thick from stainless steel.
The handle is made from a TacHide onlay and includes large finger grooves to make it slip-proof. Included with the blade is a nylon sheath which is wear and tear resistant.
The only downside to this blade is that it’s a little larger than most people expect, making it harder to carry and store away. Just be aware of the size that way you won’t be surprised by the bulkiness of the knife.
- Ruggid and reliable design in all our products
- Can be used in various military, hunting, survival, tactical, industrial and outdor situations
- All producdts are field tested
What's to like about the Gerber Freeman
- Enhanced grip
- Gut hook
- Drop point
What's not to like about the Gerber Freeman
3. Elk Ridge Bone Gentleman
If you’re looking for a new folding hunting knife that can easily fit into your bag, this may be another great pick. Elk Ridge has been specified in making high performance knives that are built for the avid outdoorsmen.
Whether you need it to hunt, explore, or for other tasks you can always count on the Elk Ridge company to provide you with a high-quality folding hunting knife at an affordable price.
The Elk Ridge Bone Gentleman knife has a thick blade that measures 3.5 inches. The blade is crafted from stainless steel and includes a satin finish on the blade to help with corrosion and as a finish.
The handle is made with a stainless steel bolster, giving you better support when you use it. When you buy the Bone Gentleman you will also get a leather lanyard and a pocket clip. This provides you with an easy way to carry and transport your knife when you don’t need it.
Lastly, the knife includes a beautiful wood like design on the handle and includes an area to attach a chain or leather strap.
What's to like about the Elk Ridge Bone Gentleman
- Thick blade
- Stainless steel
- Enhanced grip
- Can fit in pocket
What's not to like about the Elk Ridge Bone Gentleman
- Plastic bone handle
- Difficult to open
4. Grand Way FB 0924 A
The FB0924 A folding knife is a very reasonably priced small hunting knife made by GrandWay. The GrandWay brand focuses on designing their knives with a modern interpretation on a classic folding knife. They are usually more sturdy than other brands and have reliable strength compactness, and safety.
The GrandWay company has been manufacturing knives for around 15 years, but they have slowly become one of the best reasonably priced knives on the market.
The FB 0924 A folding knife has an overall length of 8.9 inches, a blade length of 3.9 inches, and weighs 4.5 ounces. The blade is crafted from a 420 stainless steel which is resistant to corrosion and increases the longevity of the blade. The blade also includes a nice satin finish that enhances the look of the knife.
The handle has a rosewood cover and helps support the stiffness of the knife and widen the range for hunting, recreation, fishing, and other camping situations. It’s a fully functional knife and is very compact, perfect for taking with you outdoors.
- FOLDING KNIFE WITH CLASSIC CLIP POINT BLADE AND A LANYARD HOLE FOR EVERYDAY CARRY has a simple and reliable back-lock which is resistant to dirt and prevents unexpected closure. Equipped with a nail mark for easy opening.
- FOLDING POCKET KNIFE FOR EVERYTHING - Camping, Hiking, Backpack, Bushcrafting, Hunting & Fishing, Military & Army needs, Outdoor & DIY Activities, Survival, Self Defense, Emergencies.
- 420 STAINLESS STEEL - excellent balance of hardness and corrosion resistance ensures proper operation without sharpening. Provides razor sharp cutting performance and high durability. Could be the best knife in your camp or hunt knife set.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE with wood inlays reinforced by metal bolsters on both sides for comfortable and stiff grip. A great utility tool of high quality and sturdy materials for professional and tourism lovers alike.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - your new knife is protected by Grand Way 10-year warranty. A perfect gift for a man or a woman in your life.
What's to like about the Grand Way FB 0924 A
- Stainless steel
- Satin finish
- Handle rosewood cover
- Fully functional
What's not to like about the Grand Way FB 0924 A
- Difficult to open
5. Firebird Knife F720
The Firebird F720 knife is a decently priced blade that is designed to be compact and has superior grip. The idea behind this blade is that the Firebird company wanted to design a folding knife that has better grip so that you could have increased precision while using it.
This blade is great for hunting, camping, and other small tasks. You will find that it also works great for cutting game and other animals you catch; however, it should not be used for any heavy duty tasks.
The FireBird F720 knife has a total blade length of 8.3 inches, a blade length of 3.5 inches, and a weighs 7.2 ounces. The blade is crafted from a 440C stainless steel which is erosion resistant. The handle is made from ultra-strong fiberglass and G10 and allow the option of attaching a strap.
Unlike some other brands, this knife has high heat resistance and repels chemicals. The blade has a spine thickness of 4mm and is a drop point blade, meaning that there is a gradual decrease in thickness when it reaches the spine line.
- Blade: 440c stainless steel (58-60HRC)
- Comfortable ergonomic handle
- Size: Whole length: ~210mm(8.3"); Blade's length: ~90mm(3.5"); Closed Length: ~120mm(4.7") Blade's thickness: 4mm Blade's width: 36mm
- Net Weight: ~205g
- It has a drop-point blade, i.e. the blade is with gradual decrease of the spine line.
What's to like about the Firebird Knife F720
- Ergonomic handle
- Stainless steel
- Drop point blade
What's not to like about the Firebird Knife F720
- Difficult to close
A good folding hunting knife can make a huge difference when it comes to the amount and weight of gear you’re transporting during your trip. Not all folding knives are created equal, so you’ll have to remember that knives have different blade designs based on what you’re going to use them for.
It's not impossible to find folding knives with specific blade types, however, if you're planning on using the folding knife for more than one task, it's better to go with one of our top picks as they can be used generally.
The top knife that we would recommend is the Grand Way FB 0924 A. This is because it is decently priced, is made of a sturdy material, and is also fully functional. If you don't want to fork out that much money, we can also recommend the Elk Ridge Bone Gentleman.
This knife is affordable and well-crafted with a thick blade, meaning that it will be able to handle tougher situations than most other folding knives. Hopefully, this guide has helped you find at least one knife that interests you.