Best Hunting Boots of 2018 – Complete Reviews with Comparison
We’re confident that the majority of you would agree that a good hunting experience isn’t possible unless you have the right kind of footwear.
Your hunting could fail if your feet are bothered by heat, frigid cold, blisters, or more, and that’s where having the best elk hunting boots can benefit you when you are out in the field.
We’ve pinned some of the best hunting boots against one another to compare their features and overall quality. You can use this guide to help you narrow down your selection, so you can have the best hunting season to date.
- 1 Top 5 Best Elk Hunting Boots Comparison Chart
- 2 Best Hunting Boots Reviews
- 2.1 1. Irish Setter Men's 860 Elk Tracker
- 2.2 2. Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8” Uninsulated Hunting Boot
- 2.3 3. Kenetrek Men's Mountain Extreme 400 Insulated Hunting Boot
- 2.4 4. Lacrosse Men's Silencer Realtree Xtra 1000G Hunting Boot
- 2.5 5. Lowa Men's Tibet GTX Trekking Boot
- 3 FINAL VERDICT
Top 5 Best Elk Hunting Boots Comparison Chart
Best Hunting Boots Reviews
1. Irish Setter Men's 860 Elk Tracker
No matter how challenging your situation, the Irish Setter 860 gives you everything that you need. The boots provide heavy duty support and are ready to work hard regardless of the terrain.
The body is waterproof, cowhide, and has a ribbon up style. It also includes the specialized Thinsulate Ultra insulation, so your feet remain nice and toasty, even during those frosty hunts.
These comfortable boots have made a lasting impression on hunters who have tried them when outdoors. The design of the sole makes them easy to run in, so you can hunt without having to worry about undependable traction. With the included Gore-Tex technology, the lining promises that no water gets into the boots while the moisture-wicking nylon keeps the dampness at bay.
As a bonus, Irish Setter designed the boots with their trademark Bulls-Eye Air Bob Aggression outsoles, so the traction is unlike any other pair you have worn in the past.
ScentBan technology got embedded in the leather, foot beds, and the lining of the boot, so odor-causing bacteria are killed off. Did you know that animals, much like people, don’t like the smell of a stinky human foot? This boot totally hides that scent.
- Lace-up full-grain waterproof leather hunting boot featuring kiltie overlay at toebox and logo plaques at shaft
- Waterproof GORE-TEX lining
- 1000g 3M Thinsulate Ultra insulation
- Bulls-Eye Air Bob Aggressive sole for traction
- ScentBan technology to kill bacteria that cause odors
What's to like about the Irish Setter Men's 860 Elk Tracker
- Comfortable and reliable
- ScentBan, Bulls-Eye Air Bob Aggression, and Gore-Tex technology
- Great in hot and cold temperatures
- Excellent traction
What's not to like about the Irish Setter Men's 860 Elk Tracker
- No steel toe
- Take time to break in
2. Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8” Uninsulated Hunting Boot
While this list isn’t in any particular order, number two is the Danner Pronghorn 8’’, uninsulated hunting boot. The simple yet appealing design is made from camo hide leather and comes with a rubber sole that gives you a great traction balance while you’re hunting.
When comparing these boots against others, they are somewhat light, making them easy and comfortable to wear during mid-season hunting.
The Danner Pronghorn Elk hunting boot has incredible flexibility, and the lightweight design gives you the chance to run at full speed. To protect your feet from water, Danner has included the breathable Gore-Tex technology lining in the boot.
Additionally, the boots also have a Field Lock and Load Lacing with the hardware across the forefoot, and speed hooks let you lace quickly.
To get the full hunting experience, the rock-grip outsole provides you efficiency for your hunting experience, and it has a Polyurethane Ortholite foot bed for air circulation. The boot’s thread has a tight grip and an EVA midsole that offers unprecedented comfort along with support.
- Durable, waterproof full-grain CamoHide leather upper with rugged and lightweight 1000 Denier nylon
- Full-grain leather toe and heel cap
- Rugged hardware for secure fit and long lasting performance
- 100% waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX lining
- Cushioning three density open cell polyurethane Ortholite footbed
What's to like about the Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8” Uninsulated Hunting Boot
- Warm, breathable, and waterproof
- Polyurethane Ortholite foot bed
- Rubberized outsoles
- Easy lacing
What's not to like about the Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8” Uninsulated Hunting Boot
- Narrow and inflexible
- Waterproofing doesn’t last long
3. Kenetrek Men's Mountain Extreme 400 Insulated Hunting Boot
As one of the more favorable boots on the market, Kenetrek’s Mountain Extreme 400 made it onto the list with no questions asked.
With this elk hunting boot, you can go on steep hikes without the added worry of comfortability or ankle strain; not to mention the world-class waterproofing that these boots have. It's hard to find a boot better than this one for elk hunting.
While these boots do require some effort to break in, the quality is worth the extra time it takes. The boots perform ideally as soon as you take them out of the box, and there’s no need to spray them down with weather-protectant sprays such as additional waterproofing.
The Mountain Extreme 400 boots have 400-gram insulation that gives you a breathable lining, so your feet stay warm and dry. Additionally, the soles are reinforced to ensure comfort regardless of conditions or terrain.
The boot is also reliable and has light rubber soles, though the sole’s lug design keeps your feet firmly on the ground. The waterproofing confirms that you can wear them in the rain or sun.
- 10" tall leather uppers made from 2.8 mm full grain leather feature double and triple stitching throughout for added durability
- Custom K-Talon Outsole provides exceptional grip and traction while the 7 mm nylon midsole offers a solid foundation for extra support and stability
- Forged boot hardware offers corrosion resistance and swivels instead of breaking
- Durable Windtex waterproof membrane and 400 gram Thinsulate insulation keeps you warm and dry
- Reinforced rubber sole guard for extra abrasion resistance
What's to like about the Kenetrek Men's Mountain Extreme 400 Insulated Hunting Boot
- Flexible ankle support
- Windtex membrane
- 400 gram Thinsulate insulation
- Lightweight and durable
What's not to like about the Kenetrek Men's Mountain Extreme 400 Insulated Hunting Boot
- Requires time to break in
- One of the more pricier boots
4. Lacrosse Men's Silencer Realtree Xtra 1000G Hunting Boot
LaCrosse is well known for providing quality boots to hunters of all experience levels, and what makes them even better is that you can use them for more than just hunting.
This boot was included on our list not just because of the price, but because of the features that you get for the price. As one of the most affordable elk hunting boots on the market, the LaCrosse boots provide a lightweight design, waterproofing, and comfort collar padding.
One of the great things about these boots is you can hunt all day and stay comfortable and dry. The strong and resilient elk hunting boots have 1000D nylon uppers that battle rough terrain, so you can pursue the wild game in the brush and backcountry.
The Dry-Core technology makes the boots waterproof and breathable, so your feet stay dry and comfortable. Also, the 3M Thinsulate Ultra insulation blocks the cold, so you can hunt in the chilliest of conditions.
The included EVA foot beds work as a shock absorbent, so you can move easily across rough terrain, while padded collars give your ankles a better fit and extra cushioning. The outsoles have low lugs for excellent traction and include lightweight deer tracks.
What's to like about the Lacrosse Men's Silencer Realtree Xtra 1000G Hunting Boot
- 1000D nylon uppers
- Waterproof, lightweight, and warm
- 1000 gram 3M Thinsulate insulation
- EVA foot beds
- High traction with low-profile lugs
What's not to like about the Lacrosse Men's Silencer Realtree Xtra 1000G Hunting Boot
- Sizes run small
- Stiff and require extra breaking in
5. Lowa Men's Tibet GTX Trekking Boot
The high-rated Lowa Trekking Boot is the last boot on our comparison list, but it’s not the least. The Lowa boots are versatile, comfortable, and sturdy, which makes them an excellent choice for elk hunting boots.
When you are hunting through rough terrain, you need a boot that provides ankle support, and the GTX Trekking Boot does just that. The boots are made in Germany, and have been designed to last longer than other boots.
While it does take a few days to properly break in the boot, it perfectly conforms to your foot with flex-fit technology to give you exceptional comfort and fit.
Lowa’s Tibet GTX Trekking boots also have large-lug soles that were specially designed to give added grip for unpredictable grounds. The full-grain leather has rubber sections that were intended to keep water from entering the boot.
- Lace-up hiking boot featuring D-ring eyelets and speed-lacing hardware
- Padded tongue and collar
- Seamless, waterproof Gore-Tex lining
- Climate Control perforated lining manages moisture and heat
- C4 anatomically contoured tongue
What's to like about the Lowa Men's Tibet GTX Trekking Boot
- Great traction and locking system
- Extra space
- Large-lug sole
- Speed-lacing and D-ring hardware
What's not to like about the Lowa Men's Tibet GTX Trekking Boot
- Quite heavy
- On the expensive side
- Sizes run large
Now that we’ve reviewed all of the best elk hunting boots that you can buy, the rest is in your hands, and it’s a decision that you should take seriously. Given that having the appropriate hunting gear to coincide with your weaponry and training is important, it’s vital that you choose a boot that’s right for you and your needs.
If you wear a pair of lousy hunting boots while on your trip, it could ruin the experience for you and you could end up returning home early. You could also end up getting injured or sick.
While all of the boots listed above were great in individual ways, we needed to find one to select as the best and to do that we looked at all of the features and variables. The boot that we chose as the best hunting boot is the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 Hunting Boot.
The boot is on the pricier side, but it has everything that’s needed in an elk hunting boot. The rubber sole, top grain leather, waterproofing, insulation, traction, and added support makes for one of the most highly recommended boots on the market.
Alternatively, for those of you who would like a more cost-effective pair of boots that are going to do the job, the LaCrosse Men’s Silencer 1000G Hunting Boot is also a suitable option.
They have the Thinsulate technology, are waterproof, lightweight, and warm. Keep in mind that the sizes do run on the small side and require extra work to break in.